July 21, 2021 at 12:12 am #30355Jack MonbouquetteParticipant
Hello WSSA community,
My name is Jack Monbouquette, a twenty-three year old PWS from Boston. I have been stuttering since I was four, and had no idea that there are now so many organizations helping people who stutter (let alone WSSA) until I began doing more research into it in March. I am so glad that I found such marvelous community of people who are so eager to help PWS become PWSS.
I signed up for the ‘Stuttering’ course this morning and am planning on participating in the speech club meeting this Saturday. And last week, I ordered Lee’s book, but it has not arrived at my house yet. I look forward to getting to know the members of this community and learning from them.
– JackJuly 21, 2021 at 8:58 am #30356JavierModerator
Hi Jack! Welcome to WSSA! My name is Javier, I live in Spain and I’m a PWSS and one of the Certified Speech Coaches of WSSA. I’m glad you just signed up as a Stuttering member. Until you receive the hard copy of Lee’s book, you can start reading it from here. As a Stuttering member, you have free access to electronic copies of all of his books here.
To make the most of WSSA’s contents, I’d suggest you the following things:
– Of course, read Lee’s Stuttering & Anxiety Self-Cures. While you read its chapters, watch the corresponding video lesson of those chapters of the video course of this book: https://worldstopstuttering.org/courses/stuttering-and-speech-anxiety-self-cures/.
– Once you get to the part of the Crutches, start with this video course too: https://worldstopstuttering.org/courses/crutch-mastery-series/.
– Read the book aloud, in a passionate way.
– Once you’ve read the part of the book about the Crutches, start attending to as many Crutch Practice Group sessions as you can: https://worldstopstuttering.org/crutch-practice-group/. These sessions will help you immensely. You will be able to practice the Crutches in small groups (not more than 5 people) and learn from the rest of the attendees.
– Come to the SAM meetings, as you said. The are extremely motivating, and of course, you will learn a lot from other people’s experiences. I might not be able to be there this next Saturday, unfortunately. But I hope to see you any other week!
– Watch videos of other coaching sessions in the “Video” Section of this website: https://worldstopstuttering.org/videos. There are more than 1000 videos of coaching sessions. You will see that you have multiple filters to find the most suitable videos for you. The advice that we, coaches, give in those videos will surely be helpful for you too!
– Read the Blogs that we have written and that are meant to complement the book. https://worldstopstuttering.org/blog/
– Ask us any questions you might have, and share your progress with us too here, in the Forums.
– And finally, as a Stuttering member of WSSA, you have 3 free coaching sessions. These sessions will surely help you become a PWSS faster, but I’d recommend you first to finish reading the book, so as to avoid “wasting” time explaining you the things that are already explained in the book, and so that we can make the most of this precious time.
Work on this program as much as you can, on a daily basis, and you’ll become a PWSS. It will just be a matter of time. I’ve had students who did this in 5 weeks, others have taken months. This depends on the severity of your stutter, on how long you’ve been stuttering, and how diligently you work on it.
Feel free to ask us anything!July 21, 2021 at 11:27 pm #30358Jack MonbouquetteParticipant
Thank you so much for your reply. Since I made an account on WSSA, I have been amazed at the eagerness of ‘Team WSSA,’ Lee, and now you, to assist me in using the content of WSSA to the fullest. I am really looking forward to attending the SAM meeting this Saturday. I’ll definitely ask any questions that I have in the forum for asking the coaches questions and I’ll post any updates on this forum page.
– JackJuly 22, 2021 at 6:45 am #30359JavierModerator
In the end I’ll be able to attend to this Saturday’s SAM meeting, so I look forward to meeting you. If you want, you can come ~30 minutes earlier (9:30am EDT) and we can have a more informal conversation. At that time we’re just a few of us.
All the best,
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.